Great eye care isn’t just about what we do in the office. It’s about constantly pushing past old limits of technology, to innovate, educate and ensure that millions of people can maintain their vision from decade to decade—with the most up-to-date treatments available.
Our very own Dr. Robert T. Lin, eye doctor, laser vision correction specialist and one of the nation’s most experienced eye surgeons, has dedicated himself to just that. In fact, Dr. Lin pioneered and patented the Micro-LASIK® procedure and continues to stay ahead of the optical game to provide the greatest treatments in the field of ophthalmology. In that vein, Dr. Lin was recently invited to be part of an expert panel discussion at the American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO).
Snapshot of the American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) Event
The American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) is a prestigious organization for anyone in the optical fields. It was formed with the premise that “collective knowledge is far greater than the sum of its parts. Since it opened its doors, it’s set the global standards for clinical education, advocated the highest quality eye care, driven innovations that advance treatment for millions and united doctors of Optometry and Ophthalmology under the common goal of preserving vision.
The AAO event on Advancing Eye Care Every Step of the Way was held Oct. 12-15, 2019 in San Francisco. The agenda? Educate attendees on the latest advancements in eye care.
And there certainly are a lot of advancements to share and be excited about! One of the ones we’re most excited about right now is the ZEISS ReLEx® SMILE® procedure (Dr. Lin happens to be an expert in it!). His expertise and the high volume of SMILE procedures performed at IQ Laser Vision caught the attention of the folks at the AAO, and prompted an invitation to be part of the expert panel discussion to discuss SMILE.
The topics discussed included The Optics of SMILE, Energy Density & Visual Acuity Stabilization, Refractive Outcomes with SMILE (Dr. Lin’s data), and Patient Satisfaction. The event was moderated by John Doane, MD; other speakers included Jon Dishler, MD; D. Rex Hamilton, MD; and Denise Visco, MD, MBA.
Dr. Robert T. Lin: SMILE expert
The invitation to be a panelist speaker was well-deserved. Dr. Lin has been a pioneer and leader in the laser eye surgery space for over two decades. When he founded IQ Laser Vision in 1999 he was determined to keep his vision centers on the cusp of optical innovation—and he’s done just that. Today, our high levels of expertise and the numbers of procedures we’ve performed have made IQ Laser Vision the #1 SMILE Laser Vision Center in the US!)
Why SMILE is the present (and future) of laser eye surgery
The panelists and their patients all know it. SMILE works. SMILE has the claim to fame of being not only gentler on those experiencing dry eye symptoms than traditional LASIK procedures, but it also has a wealth of benefits that patients around the world are discovering through research, word of mouth, and finally, personally for themselves.
What are these benefits? The panelists elaborated on some of them in the panel discussion, including no pain, no sound, and no smell. These are terrific benefits in themselves! But the things we love about SMILE extend even beyond these!
- You’ll have the best vision of your life. At IQ Laser Vision, we’ve conducted follow up studies to determine how effective the treatments really are. Said Dr. Lin during the AAO event, “We did a study of 132 eyes of our patients, 1-month postop, and 98% of them were seeing 20/20 or better.”
- The SMILE procedure forgoes the blade. For those afraid to “go under the knife” this is great news! The whole procedure is completed by using a single laser to make just one small incision on the surface of the eye to smooth out the cornea.
- Less risk of post-surgery dry eye. There’s a lot to love about the single laser incision! And this study shows that dry eye symptoms may be reduced with SMILE.
- SMILE holds less risk of infection thanks to only a single micro-incision. That means your cornea will heal even faster, so you can be on your merry way after the procedure (and wearing makeup the very next day!).
- SMILE has been FDA approved to correct astigmatism! The single-incision procedure smoothes out the corneal surface to correct the distorted, blurry vision caused by astigmatism.
- SMILE has a remarkably fast recovery time. We knew LASIK was fast! But we can’t stop marveling at SMILE’s ability to get you up and out of the chair in minutes and back to living the life you’ll love! Did we mention the procedure itself takes less than 10 minutes?
Don’t misunderstand us though. LASIK is still a hugely popular and very successful procedure. But with the gentler approach of SMILE, Dr. Lin reported that, at IQ Laser Vision, “Of all the patients that can do SMILE or LASIK, about 70-80% of patients choose SMILE… They love the concept and the smaller incision.”
“In the end,” he said, “What really matters is patient satisfaction.”
Whether you’re in the Northern or Southern California regions, or flying in from out of town (check out our VIP out-of-towner experience!) you can experience the world-class, innovative care at IQ Laser Vision for yourself. Dr. Lin and his team of eye doctors and surgeons (and really the entire office staff!) will help lead you through the process to determine which procedure is right for you, and help you feel great about any decision you’ll make. Because like Dr. Lin said, patient satisfaction is what matters.
Ready to start exploring better vision for yourself? Give us a call at 888-539-2211 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.