Soft Touch Comfort LASIK
When choosing Soft Touch Comfort LASIK a gentle corneal flap is created during laser eye surgery to gain access to the corneal stroma for laser treatment. Currently, Soft Touch Comfort LASIK utilizes Visumax® Laser by Zeiss to create corneal flap. A femtosecond laser that employs high-performance laser technology and is characterized by its outstanding precision, unsurpassed speed and gentle treatment technique.
Who is a candidate for Soft Touch ComfortLASIK?
Good candidates for Soft Touch Comfort LASIKinclude patients who:
- Have stable vision, with less than half a diopter of change in their vision within the past 12 months.
- Have an understanding of their current vision problems and clear understanding of their options.
- Have overall healthy corneas with no major vision-related issues.
- Have NO active eye diseases or viruses
- Are over 18 years of age and are in good general health.
- Are not pregnant or nursing, as hormonal shifts can cause fluctuations in prescription. Typically, a patient may be a candidate after at least 2 menstrual cycles after nursing has been discontinued.
Other factors which may impact your laser eye surgery that should be discussed during your consultation include:
- Lazy eye (amblyopia)
- Muscle imbalance (strabismus)
- Severe dry eyes
- Previous eye surgery
- Previous eye injury
- Eye scarring
- Any recurring or pre-existing eye concerns you may have
Determining if you are a candidate for Soft Touch Comfort LASIK starts with your personalized consultation. The consultation is free with no commitments. This allows us to perform a few optometry exams to understand your current vision issues. Once that is determined your vision correction options will be presented and discussed with you. At IQ Laser Vision, we understand vision is very important and our number one goal is to provide high-quality care and service so that you can see 20/20 without the need for glasses or contacts!
WHAT TO EXPECT…
CONSULTATION – FREE with no obligations
- During the consultation a number of examinations will be performed to get a thorough understanding of your overall eye health, these may include the following:
- visual acuity
- measurement of current glasses
- infrared pupillometry (measurement of nighttime pupil size)
- pachymetry (measurement of corneal thickness)
- corneal topography (using up to 3 different systems to measure both anterior and posterior surfaces)
- wavefront analysis.
- Based on these exams and your individual conditions (age, eye health and visual needs) your Patient Relations Manager will go over your vision correction options. During this time feel free to ask as many questions as you would like. We are here to guide you through the process and ensure that you feel comfortable about the procedure and the steps involved. You will also have an opportunity to meet your surgeon, to personally discuss your laser eye surgery and further answer any lingering questions you may have.
BEFORE YOUR SURGERY
- Contacts should not be worn at LEAST 3 days PRIOR to your LASIK eye surgery.
- Wash your hair the night before your surgery or the morning of.
- Make sure you eat a good meal prior to your LASIK surgery, you will need to go home and sleep immediately after your procedure to begin the recovery process.
- No caffeine (4) hours prior to your LASIK eye surgery, this includes soda, tea and/or coffee.
- Do not wear make-up on the day of your procedure. Be sure to clean off all make-up, such as mascara, the night before and again the morning of.
- Do not wear any cologne or perfume the day of your LASIK eye surgery.
- Bring your IQ Laser Vision Preventive Eye Care Package bag on the day of your procedure, these are provided to you during the consultation before your surgery date.
AT YOUR SURGERY
- Your eye will be numbed with an eye drop anesthesia. During the procedure, an eyelid holder will be placed between your eyelids to prevent you from blinking. Your surgeon will need to access the corneal stroma (inside the cornea) in order to correct your corneal refraction with your chosen laser.
- The cornea will be gently reshaped and adjusted in order reflect light accurately onto your retina. This step involves using a laser to treat some of the corneal tissue in order to reduce the steepness of your corneal curvature. You will hear the sound of the laser’s hum.
- Once the laser step is complete the corneal epithelium/flap is gently positioned. The protective flap naturally bonds with the cornea, stitches or adhesives are not required.
AFTER YOUR SURGERY
- You should make arrangements for someone to drive you straight home after your procedure so you can get some rest. We strongly recommend going straight home after the procedure and going to sleep to rest your eyes minimize discomfort. We will send you home with shields on your eyes to protect them.
- It is important to keep the shields on your eyes and during sleep
- The cornea is about 80% healed in the first 24 hours after the Soft TouchComfort LASIK procedure. Almost all patients are able to resume their normal activities the day after surgery. Patients are able to shower and wash their faces the next day if care is taken not to rub their eyes.
- You can resume your regular daily routine after two weeks.
- Make-up (including eye make-up) can be worn a couple days after surgery upon clearance from your follow-up exams. Once again, care should be taken not to rub your eyes.
- While patients may engage in sport activities within a few days following surgery and after clearance from follow-up exams, protective goggles should be used if there is a concern of sustaining trauma to the eyes. Sweat in the eyes is not a problem and will not affect the recovery.
- In general the entire healing process can take between 3-6 months depending on each individual.
- You will have a series of follow-up appointments throughout the first year to monitor your recovery progress. Our receptionist will schedule these with you each time you come in for a follow-up examination.
- If you have any questions or concerns after your procedure, your Patient Relations Manager would be more than happy to assist you.
What are the benefits of Soft Touch Comfort LASIK?
- The #1 reason for most individuals: Freedom from the limitations and inconveniences of glasses and contact lenses, not having to remember your glasses, look for your glasses, remembering your contacts and to take them off or clean them each and every day
- Eliminate the cost of constant maintenance for glasses, contact lenses, contact lens solution and cleaners, in the long-term, LASIK will be less expensive than daily-use contact lenses and/or glasses
- Decrease the chance of eye infection and corneal abrasions associated with handling contacts, the CDC released a recent study linking contact wearing to higher risks of eye infections
- Increased peripheral vision (side vision)
- Improve self confidence
- The procedure is quick, with the surgery itself taking approximately 15-20 minutes total.
- Speedy recovery, nearly all our patients return to work after 1-2 days post-surgery with the Soft Touch Comfort LASIK procedure
With the Soft Touch Comfort LASIK technique, the goal is to eliminate your dependency on corrective lenses like glasses and contact lenses. (Click here to schedule your free Soft Touch Comfort LASIK consultation today!)